Friday, August 31, 2012

Everything You Wanted To Know About The IT Band...

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been having some trouble with pain in the outside of my knee when I'm running.  Being a total newbie, I'm always paranoid about doing "permanent damage" to myself. Because of that I always jump on the internet to do some research at the first sign of trouble.  In my search, I found Digital Running Club.  This site is full of great tips and ideas - including one of the best Couch to Half Marathon plans I've seen.  My favorite feature is "Ask the Experts."  What a great resource!

When I saw it, I couldn't resist.  Being the curious person I am, I dropped an email to their expert asking how to treat this IT band ailment?  DO I rest or push through?  Here's what Run Coach Brian had to say:


The short answer is definitely to rest it. There's really no way to stretch the IT band itself because it's not a muscle. It's a fibrous band of tissue. Here's some background:
 

The IT band runs from your Illium (hip bone) to your tibia 9one of your shin bones), hence the name "Iliotibial band'. Although it runs alongside your femur (thigh bone), it is not attached to it. If you probe your knee with your fingers, you'll find that you've got a "knob" on either side of your knee. The inner one is the medial condyle of the femur and the outer is the lateral condyle of the femur. Your knee cap slides between the two. When the muscles of the hips, thighs and/or calves get too tight or imbalanced, the IT band gets pulled tight and begins to rub against the lateral condyle of the femur. This rubbing results in inflammation and pain. When the tissue gets inflamed, it begins to swell, which exacerbates the friction between the IT band and the femur making the problem worse.
 

So, if you don't rest it now, the problem will get worse and you'll only be in for a more extended period of rest later. Ice will help with the inflammation. When practical, ice the outside of your knee for 10-15 minutes at a time every 3-4 hours. Use of the foam roller will also help. Focus on your butt and your hips. In all likelihood, that's where the problem is originating. Of course, a visit to a massage therapist will also help greatly. Describe your symptoms and he/she should know what to do.
 

I recommend taking at least 1 week and probably 2 weeks off from running. After a week, start some strength training exercises to help prevent the problem in the future.

He even sent a link to a specific exercise - the single leg dead lift - to help get me started.   I've been starting slowly without weights with that one, just to get used to the motion.  Had my first run in a week tonight.

So, thanks Brian!  Your advice was extremely helpful, and greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment