Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cheeseburger in a Blender

I'm coming to terms with a liquid diet.  Apparently, when you have surgery, you have two weeks of a liquid diet to prepare your internal organs for surgery.  I am not excited about this prospect.  Unless a liquid diet consists of Starbucks, beer and Chick-fil-A milkshakes, I'm not interested.

Ok, ok.  Don't get yourself into a tizzy.  I know that the purpose of surgery is a overhaul my eating habits and to put myself on a path to better health.  I just can't help but be a little reluctant to give up the foods that have been my friends for so long.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I am an emotional eater.  That basically means that when I'm stressed, I eat.  When I'm sad, I eat.  When I'm bored, I eat.  So in many ways, these foods have been like the best girlfriend who you call every time you need a little support.  In some ways, they are even better than a friend:  they don't get mad that you always focus on YOUR feelings and YOUR problems,  you don't have to feel guilty for only calling them when you need something, and  there is no flak for not keeping in touch.  They are always there, always ready to welcome you back when you need them.  Asking nothing in return, and giving themselves.

But now these friends have started to offer less comfort.  They are hanging out with the wrong crowd and trying to drag me down into it.  It's time to let them go.  But alas.  Like the end of any relationship, there are some wistful feelings.  That's when you have to remind yourself of all the awful, crazy and annoying things the person did.  Recalling all the bad stuff makes you happy to be rid of them.  So to make saying goodbye, I think I'll stick that cheeseburger in the blender.   That way I can see what it's really made of, and will make saying goodbye that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment