Monday, March 28, 2011

"Good Enough" is Good Enough for Me!

I am now one week away from "my new birthday," as some of my OH buddies have dubbed surgery day.  In an effort to get ready for the monumental change that is about to occur, I have been scrambling to clear my plate of all the extra jobs, duties, tasks and favors I have picked up over the years.  Turns out there are a bunch of them. I didn't realize I was such a joiner until I started resigning from the committees I'd been serving on.  There were about 12 of them, it seemed.  Turns out I wear many different hats!

The hat that's been taking over most of my time the last few weeks is that of yearbook advisor.  Me and my trusty editor have been hacking away at placing photos, editing copy and basically trying to produce a yearbook that doesn't suck.  Will we be successful?  Your guess is a good as mine.  As the year has worn on, I've let the kids have more control over the design and layout of the book.  While it makes it look less professional, it does allow the kids a bit more investment in the final product.  And amazingly, I have not died.  Could it be that I do not have to control every last detail???

As I'm whittling down my time commitments, I'm beginning to realize the beauty and value of "good enough."  I am a chronic overachiever.  Up until now, everything has had to be exactly perfect.  Why?  I guess because I wanted to be impressive.  I've preached the evils of "good enough" in the past.  But, suddenly, "good enough" seems pretty darned ok with me.  As long as my kids are fed, groomed, tended to and loved and my students at school are not running wild in the hallways, I think I can be ok with "good enough."  I've spent the better part of almost 15 years killing myself to be perfect, and I suspect that I'd be in exactly the same place if I'd just striven for "good enough."

So as I enter this new phase in my life, I'm looking forward to paying more attention to what makes me happy, what makes my kids feel more special, what makes my family function better.  They are going to get my absolute best.  The rest of the world is going to have to settle for "good enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment