Sunday, March 1, 2015

Breadcrumbs

With every early conversation, you sprinkled them
Along the path in the form of advice and
Probing questions
Urging me to follow.

Later, they were thrown down in
Frustration and exasperation
As I blithely refused to acknowledge
I was lost in the first place.

Finally, you threw your hands up, dropped the bag
Spilling its contents
And took off down the path
Alone.

I lingered in the woods a bit before
I looked up and realized
I was lost.
Really lost.

Slowly, I took those first tentative steps
Unsure, but following my heart,
I tried to navigate my way.
Not noticing the trail you had left.

Now, as I take each step forward,
I see them
Sprinkled on the path
And I remember.

I don't follow them exactly
Because it is essential
I find my own way -
Make my own trail.

But when I look down and see them,
They comfort me, reassure me.
You were there.
At one point in time, at least.

My steps are slow, but deliberate.
I try not to feel bad about
Being so slow
Lagging so far behind.

I concentrate on the step I am taking
Refusing to let my mind wonder
Where will the path lead?
Which is the "right way" to go?

It's my own path,
And the journey is what is important.
But I confess I would be delighted
If - somehow - it led me back to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment